PLEASE READ:

This was blog was created as part of an assessment piece for a subject that I completed in Semester 1 of 2010. I have since completed the unit and received a 6 for the subject overall. I quite enjoyed writing these blog entries, and might in the future continue to muse about New Media and the Creative Industries, however for now I am focusing on my Pop Culture blog over at AMPED+DANGEROUS

I am still available over email, and continue to check the comments of this blog. So please feel free to comment and connect.

Sunday

Currently writing an essay.


(Image retrieved May23, 2010, from http://27.media.tumblr.com/jGF62H5Oyqudfzq6QShpNDrko1_500.jpg)
This week was solely dedicated to the students in KCB201 to formulate and work on our final essays for this subject. We have been provided with a plethora of resources that might aid us in writing our ideas regarding our chosen topics.
One resource that has caught my eye is a visual guide to essay writing by authors Rao, Krishnan and Chanock (2007). I am a very visual person when it comes to academic essays and university assignments in general (this is largely thanks to being born in a family of musicians, artists and dancers who are ­all academics). So this resource was very appealing and informational.
It is quite sensible to me to think of my essay as an “anthropological skeleton” (Rao, Chanock & Krishnan, 2007) where it has a skull (an introduction), a body and a conclusion. I take this idea further in my essays and conclude that within each paragraph and idea is to include a skull, body and conclusion to it.  I have also noted from my past experience that when I write essay that have graded quite highly, they all required three elements.
  1. The topic of choice needs to be of a high interest for me. If it is a generic topic that seems to have no relevance to my interest, I strive to choose examples and case studies that both appeal to me and can be applied effectively to the essay. This ensures that I am able to both enjoy the writing process but also may show a deeper understanding to the topic.
  2. A well written hypothesis that has been formulated at the beginning of my essay writing. Without a well constructed hypothesis I am unable to begin my essay as a hypothesis is the core ideas of an essay condensed into a couple of sentences.    
    And lastly…
  3. A lot of coffee and good music. :)
References
Rao, V., Chanock,  K., & Krishnan, L. (2007). A visual guide to essay writing: how to communicate and develop academic argument. Canberra: Association for Academic, Language and Learning. Retrieved May 23, 2010, from http://blackboard.qut.edu.au/webapps/blackboard/content/contentWrapper.jsp?content_id=_3070124_1&displayName=Week+11:+Writing+an+Essay&course_id=_60765_1&navItem=content&href=http://www.aall.org.au/teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment